Merge progress

Harri Salokorpi hsalokor at ee.oulu.fi
Wed Apr 20 22:53:26 BST 2005

Hello,

On Thursday 21 April 2005 00:19, you wrote:
> I'm flexible on syntax; I'll adopt whatever syntax is recommended or
> commonly used.

Yup, that would help with consistency. I did not find any discussion about
this, so it might be a good idea to sketch a rough idea of the "best
practice" before the merge tools hit the town :)

> But when I'm done, I expect the common case to be
> bzr merge ../other
>
> That would determine the BASE revision by scanning the cwd and ../other,
> and determining who merged who last.

I think mainline maintainers like Martin will just pick a small set of changes
instead of doing full merge. Those tracking the mainline will probably (as
you said) just merge all changes.

> Or even
> bzr merge
> That would merge from the branch I branched from, or from whatever I
> merged from last.

That sounds like a convenient way of shooting yourself into foot if you have
uncommitted local changes :) Some tools show help if operation is called
without parameters (svn co, for example), so someone unfamiliar with bzr
might nuke his local changes by accident unless some kind of safeguard is put
in place (refuse to merge if there are uncommitted local changes).

However, that kind of shortcut should be quite useful if you are just tracking
upstream with few minor changes in your local branch.

-Harri