Tidying up

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Fri Apr 15 09:24:32 BST 2005

On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 11:11:16AM +1000, Martin Pool wrote:
>On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 14:34 +0100, Magnus Therning wrote:
>> I've started looking into bazaar-ng. While trying to understand the code
>> I did spot a few silly things (miss-spellings and inconsistencies). I've
>> attached a patch. I'm hoping to be able to contribute more relevant
>> changes once I've gotten into the code somewhat.
>
>Hi,
>
>Thanks for the patch.

NP. My pleasure.

>By the way, the reason for the strange ":todo:" tags and other things
>in the docstrings is that it's the syntax expected by the "epydoc" API
>documentation tool.  (See the ./build-api script.)  However I'm not
>really sure that's useful, and it's probably more important to be
>consistent and have something that just works when people look at the
>help.

Ah, OK. I wasn't aware of epydoc's existence. I did check with pydoc,
but that seems to not have much of a markup language at all. Epydoc does
seem like something that'd be useful. I'd be more than happy to go over
the code and create a patch that marks all comments based on what epydoc
accepts.

I also have to say that I'm a little torn over what seems to be
multiple-purpose comments--AFAICS they are used both to document the
behaviour of the function and to drive the test. doctest is really cool,
I love the idea, but my preference would be to break out the testing and
use unittest instead.

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://magnus.therning.org/

by patent law on written works.

Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual
way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of
complaining.
     -- Jeff Raskin