ignored

Paul Jakma paul at clubi.ie
Wed Apr 13 13:24:03 BST 2005

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005, Martin Pool wrote:

> Yep :-)
>
> There will be one when I (or someone else) writes it.  It should be
> trivial.

:)

> We might want to help people with quoting problems.  Saying
>
>  $ bzr ignore *.class
>
> will *seem* to do the right thing but actually won't match new
> files added in the future.  We might insist on adding only one
> pattern at a time, which will catch that.
>
>  $ bzr ignore '*.class'

I wouldnt jump through hoops to catch quoting problems. It's a common
shell thing, everyone learns about escaping or quoting eventually
(certainly by the time they're at the stage of committing to SCMs :)
) and its easy to do.

Also, why provide a command? Editing a file is easy to do - no
quoting problems. Just replace the current 'bzr ignore' references in
documentation with 'edit .bzrignore'.

> You want
>
>  ./INSTALL
>
> Anything with a slash matches a whole path, not just a filename

Aha.

This is quite different from CVS and GNU Arch.

> But CVS ignores are rather baroque, so I'm not sure I want to
> promise they can be totally supported.  I for one like the new
> system rather better, partly because we can now do 'bzr add .' and
> ignore the right things in subdirectories.

Hmm, in my case it was the other way around, I set up bzrignore files
in each directory (going by existing cvsignores), and bzr add /didnt/
add the right things ;).

Personally, when adding files I /first/ use a 'cvs update' style
command (bzr status) to see what files the SCM does and does not know
about and then i modify ${SCM}ignore files to suit, run 'status'
again, and when i'm happy i add.

Maybe I'm just indoctrinated by CVS. Maybe the bzr way is better :)

>> Some people have a great ambition: to build something
>> that will last, at least until they've finished building it.
>
> How appropriate. :-)

The thing is supposed to be a /random/ fortune picker, but i swear
sometimes its sentient, it picks such appropriate fortunes ;).

When you have push/pull between local and, particularly, remote
branches working I'm going to be /very/ interested in bzr. Also,
what's the status of gpg signed updates? (awaiting someone to
implement it?)

Thanks again.

regards,
Fortune:
* * * * * THIS TERMINAL IS IN USE * * * * *