bazaar-ng news

William Dode wilk-ml at flibuste.net
Wed Apr 6 08:14:27 BST 2005

Martin Pool <mbp at sourcefrog.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> [please forward to whoever you think is interested]
>
> In the last few weeks:
>
> * File-rename operations work.

The doc pages are no more up to date. If somebody look quickly to the
contents of cmdref he will not see anything about rename and could think
that it'll be like cvs...
The same for bzr help

Even if you're maybe true that unification of move and rename can causes
trouble, we use it so long that it will be difficult to change. Specialy
that svn and arch works like unix isn't it ?
It should be also bzr moves instead of renames...

I think about people who will want to try quickly, they will sure try
bzr mv and bzr move for rename... Even just after reading about theses
new command i did mistakes !

Maybe we can keep bzr mv also, but it'll be not more "one obvious way..."

> * Reinstated the integrity checker.
>
> * I was accepted to do a talk about bazaar-ng at LCA05 and I started
> preparing it.
>
> * I made three bzr releases, and got the web site and mailing list
> running.  About five people have sent back patches, mostly for
> portability problems.
>
> * I did a lot of benchmarks on kernel trees.  I think bazaar-ng is
> approximately the fastest tool at the moment (but I haven't done
> rigorous comparisons).  At any rate it is fast enough.
>
> * I demonstrated it to kernel and gcc hackers, who have been favourably
> impressed with the speed, simplicity and friendliness and are on my case
> to get it ready for them.

What about the team of python-dev ?

I tried with the source of python, it's really very fast also.
But maybe it'll be more easy to have the first remote operation to
demonstrate.

> * I've written some blog entries with more detail here:
>   http://sourcefrog.net/weblog/software/vc/bzr
>
> * Much exchange of design ideas with Robert, who is adding -ng ideas to
>   baz at a very impressive rate.
>
> * Improved argument handling (e.g. can do "cd lib && bzr add foo.c" and
> "bzr commit --help")
>
> Before LCA I want to:
>
> * Do remote clone operation.
> * Do simple mergers.