[apparmor] [profile] Firefox: "DENIED", requested/denied_mask="r" for /proc/*/net/arp.

daniel curtis sidetripping at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 12:48:31 UTC 2016

Hi Christian

There is some problem with reloading Firefox profile and restarting
AppArmor (e.g. via /etc/init.d/). It seems, that responsible is one rule:

@{PROC}/@{pids}/net/arp r,

This is a rule proposed by you. Here's what happens:

[~]$ sudo apparmor_parser -r /etc/apparmor.d/usr.bin.firefox
Found reference to variable pids, but is never declared

[~]$ sudo /etc/init.d/apparmor restart
* Reloading AppArmor profiles
Found reference to variable pids, but is never declared    [fail]

That's happened, even with Firefox disabled etc. But, adding this rule:

@{PROC}/[0-9]*/net/arp r,

Everything seems to work OK.:

[~]$ sudo apparmor_parser -r /etc/apparmor.d/usr.bin.firefox
[~]$

[~]$ sudo /etc/init.d/apparmor restart
* Reloading AppArmor profiles                    [ OK ]

I don't know why, I don't know the reasons. So, for now I've decided to
leave the second rule and use the first one.

Best regards.