[apparmor] [patches] avoid building tech doc during build

Christian Boltz apparmor at cboltz.de
Thu Dec 1 21:31:18 UTC 2016

Hello,

Am Mittwoch, 30. November 2016, 15:52:47 CET schrieb Seth Arnold:
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 03:31:59PM -0800, Steve Beattie wrote:
> > The alternative patch removes the techdoc and the steps to build it
> > entirely. It has not been updated meaningfully since 2007, and no
> > one
> > seems to have time to take on bringing it up to date. Furthermore,
> > John has created his own (unfinished) set of documentation as
> > {open,libre}office documents in the toplevel documentation
> > directory.
>
> I prefer to remove the techdoc entirely. I think it, or something like
> it, is a sore need but ten year old documentation doesn't do anybody
> any favors. We can always pull it back out of source control later if
> we miss it. :)

I just had a quick view at the techdoc. Yes, it's old and incomplete
(only file and capability rules are listed). But I'm quite sure lots of
things (probably everything about file and capability rules) are still
valid.

That's the good thing about AppArmor - it's quite stable (besides added
features) so that something you learned 10 years ago is still valid ;-)

> So, for the "delete the docs":
>
> Acked-by: Seth Arnold <seth.arnold at canonical.com>

I vote for keeping techdoc and creating the PDF at tarball creation, so

apparmor-build_docs_w_tarball.patch
Acked-by: Christian Boltz <apparmor at cboltz.de>

I didn't test your patch, so please create a test tarball to make sure
the PDF really gets packaged (and isn't the victim of some "make clean"
that might be part of the tarball build process ;-)

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
Wenn es jemand gibt, der Facebook derzeit noch stoppen kann, dann wohl
Google. Regentraufen- und Pestcholera-Vergleich bitte hier einfügen.