[apparmor] RAppArmor: AppArmor for R

Jeroen Ooms jeroen.ooms at stat.ucla.edu
Mon Jul 23 09:59:20 UTC 2012

Dear AppArmor users/developers,

I am planning on introducing AppArmor to the R community. R is a GNU
project for statistical computing, widely popular in academia, however
security is a long standing issue. I wrote an R package containing
some interfaces to AppArmor [1][2] accompanied by a paper for the
Journal of Statistical Software [3] introducing some functionality
that could potentially be useful for R.

I realize that there are probably not a lot of R users in here, but if
someone finds it interesting to give this a try, or has any
tips/feedback for the paper before I submit it, please get in touch.
The package can easily be installed from Launchpad. The paper is
written for R users with no background at all in security; hence it is
written on a very introductory level regarding security and AppArmor.
It only scratches the surface of what AppArmor potentially has to
offer. Nevertheless, I am not a security expert myself, so is would be
great to get someone with an AppArmor background to look at the paper
before it is finalized.

Thanks for all contributions. I am quite convinced that R and AppArmor
is a powerful combination, and this approach could be very beneficial
to both communities.

Jeroen

[1] https://github.com/jeroenooms/RAppArmor
[2] https://github.com/jeroenooms/RAppArmor/raw/master/paper/RAppArmor-manual.pdf