[apparmor] AppArmor 2.7 in factory - please test!

Christian Boltz opensuse at cboltz.de
Wed Sep 14 21:46:38 UTC 2011

Hello,

AppArmor 2.7 (beta1) is in Factory since some hours.

Short version: please test it and report any problems you notice.

Long version:

I'm quite new in maintaining the AppArmor package (I became maintainer
last saturday ;-) Additionally, I dropped a 380k patch that changed the
whole upstream buildsystem to use automake [1].

In other words: the whole build process of the AppArmor package is
totally new, and it might be that this introduced some regression I
didn't notice yet.

A known "regression" is that the tomcat_apparmor package is no longer
built - it is unmaintained upstream since quite some time and failed to
build. If anyone needs this, please step up and help maintaining it ;-)

Please test if the AppArmor 2.7 beta1 package works as expected on your
system - if not, please reply to this mail or open a bugreport.
(Success reports are also welcome, of course.)

If you don't have a Factory installation available, you can also
download packages for 11.3 and 11.4 from security:apparmor:factory.
In theory, they should work on those systems without changing the kernel
side, but I can't promise that ;-) (they seem to work on my 11.4 system)

Finally: thanks to everybody who helped me to get the AppArmor package
updated by personal support on the conference and online support on IRC.

Regards,

Christian Boltz

[1] I don't really know automake and upstream isn't too interested in
    this patch[2], therefore I decided to drop it.
    (The patch is still included in the sources in OBS, but disabled -
    just in case someone wants to update it and push it upstream.)

[2] it only applies to 2.6.1, not to 2.7 - and it looks like nobody
    wants to update such a big patch, so it's understandable
--
``Hello, my userid is root and if you feed me caffeine, nobody gets
hurt.''                                      -- AdB