Community vote and publishing apps
david.planella at ubuntu.com
Wed Jul 18 07:57:51 UTC 2012
Al 16/07/12 20:03, En/na Allison Randal ha escrit:
> Hi David,
> Holding off on publishing apps until after the jury vote is easy.
> Publishing all the contest apps at the same time is going to be
> difficult to coordinate. Not impossible, but there are a few things to
> keep in mind:
> - ARB apps are only sync'd to extras once a day. We can't publish them
> right as the announcement goes out, we have to publish them the day before.
> - Publishing an app involves submitting the source package to Launchpad
> and waiting for it to build. A single app can take hours, and if it's
> bounced back with any errors, hours more. This means that trying to
> publish all the contest apps at once is risky, they may not all build
> and make it into the repository on time. It's also time consuming, as
> someone has to watch the queue all day as the apps slowly build, and
> fix/resubmit any that break.
Thanks Allison for the detailed explanation.
I think that's fine, the apps do not need to be published on the day of
the announcement: we can just start publishing them one or two days
before, and once all are in extras, then announce the community vote.
> I have a couple of alternatives to suggest:
> - We just go ahead and publish apps as they're approved by ARB vote,
> people won't know to vote on them until you make the announcement for
> community voting.
> - Or, we publish contest apps into a special contest-staging PPA, and do
> a copy straight from that to the live PPA when we're ready to publish
> (the day before you announce community voting). This is closer to what
> you were looking for, but also riskier as a launch process, since it's
> untested. stgraber may have other comments on whether this is a workable
> alternative. One advantage here is that we might open up the
> contest-staging PPA for uploads from all ARB contributors, which would
> help distribute the workload for final uploads.
We've already got the app-review-contributors PPA now, to which members
of the team have been using these days. In terms of the final sync to
extras, I'm not sure if this helps, but I'd personally not favour having
a special PPA for the contest, which would mean an additional layer of
What do you think of the suggestion above (i.e. publish everything a
couple of days before the announcement), does it make sense?
> You say the jury vote will be announced July 23rd, when are you looking
> to announce the community vote?
The jury vote will be announced on the week of July 23rd, we haven't
specified a particular date.
The community vote will be announced once all contest apps have been
reviewed, voted on and ready to publish to extras. With the work of
everyone on this list (special kudos to the new app review contributors)
we're making good progress on reviews, so it'd be great if all apps
could be up for vote by the end of the week.
> On 07/16/2012 09:28 AM, David Planella wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> It's great to see app reviews are in full swing and that the first app
>> for the contest got published already, so great work everyone.
>> Now that the jury has started voting on apps, the winners from the jury
>> vote will be announced on the week of the 23rd of July. Following that,
>> and once all apps are in extras.ubuntu.com, the community vote will start.
>> The basic idea is that once the public voting period is announced, the
>> community will look at the list of apps in the contest and use the
>> Software Centre to rate them. At the end of the period, we'll use the
>> Ratings & Reviews API to count the votes and pick 3 winners.
>> One thing I wanted to ask the ARB is whether you could please hold off
>> publishing any contest apps to extras until the community voting is
>> announced, so that we can publish all of them at once and they all have
>> the same amount of time to get rated.
Ubuntu Translations Coordinator
www.ubuntu.com / www.davidplanella.wordpress.com
www.identi.ca/dplanella / www.twitter.com/dplanella
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 554 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
More information about the App-review-board