[2016-Goal#1] A NEW Server for Ubuntu GNOME

Ali/amjjawad amjjawad at gnome.org
Mon Jan 4 10:13:08 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 8:39 PM, Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:

> Hi all,

Hello Alan,

Thanks for your reply and good to see you here :)
I had to approve your emails as you haven't subscribed yet to this list ;)

> On 4 January 2016 at 09:28, Leo Francisco <lists at boywithwings.co.uk>
> wrote:
> > I'm sure the people at Canonical will be able to help and advise. I
> > copied in Popey, who's the community manager. I'm sure he can chat with
> > you on IRC about this issue and at the very least pass us on to the
> > right person.
> >

> Sure, happy to help :)

Glad to read that :)

> > Just as a side note, I think we should be aiming reskin the site with
> > reference to the design aesthetics of GNOME. I'm sure people from the
> > design team have some ideas :)
> >

> From what I understood of the thread was you want a new look and feel
> to the Ubuntu GNOME website, and are looking at various options both
> within Canonical hosting and outside?

Not only that but that's the summary of it :)

> is there anything specific I can help with?

So, to be specific here:
Myself as the community manager of Ubuntu GNOME and Tim as the co-founder
of Ubuntu GNOME both have no access even to update our website, nor install
a new plugin, nor do anything special except create new posts and pages.
That said, our hands are so tight here and we can't do much with such very
limited access.

A side from the fact that we need to change the look and feel of Ubuntu
GNOME website with totally different theme, as mentioned above, our access
is very limited.

Also, a good friend of mine has given me a great offer:
https://austenite.co.uk/

One month for free and he just added 'more' bandwidth and more domains so
we get great more value for money.
Tell you the truth, I have zero idea whether it's good to host with
Canonical given the previous situation or host outside? what are we going
to lost? what are we going to gain?

And, since you're here, there is always one Q that has remained unanswered
and I'll take this as a good chance to ask:
Can we add "Donate" to our website just like Ubuntu MATE did?

https://ubuntu-mate.org/donate/

If No, why?
If Yes, is there anything we should be aware of?

> Cheers,
> Al.

I think that's all what I have in mind at the moment :)

Thanks in advance!

Ali/amjjawad <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad>

*http://kibo.computer <http://kibo.computer>* - http://torios.net - Ubuntu
GNOME <http://ubuntugnome.org/>