[ubuntu-art] creamlooks-gtk

Sumit Agarwal sumit.chandra.agarwal at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 18:43:47 GMT 2008

For basic interface issues I strongly believe we should not rely on
graphic/processing-intense features (which is part of why I think the
drop shadows should also not be relied upon). Ubuntu needs to maintain
identical usability on powerful or legacy systems, with the addition
that on a powerful system there is essentially a 'make pretty' button
(which there is!).

That said, I find myself stunned by how responsive Mac OS 10.4 is on a
Pentium M 1.4Ghz machine with absolutely no graphic acceleration (just
make sure v-sync is disabled!).

To summarize: the borders need to be sufficient to distinguish one
window from another (otherwise the white space of one document may
bleed into an underlying white window), but preferably the borders
should not be any larger than required for this (again, drop shadows
essentially negate this need, or replace this need). If it were my
call, I'd ask for 1-pixel borders and a forced resize grip in the
bottom-right corner of every window. This, along with gripable title-
bars, I think would be a good solution, but every taste differs and it
should be noted that the Vista team, with its broad mainstream target,
seemed to think huge bloated borders were best.

I think Vista's large borders were just included to show off
Aeroglass, not for functionality or usability. However, they keep
those huge ugly borders even when Aero is switched off or unavailable.

-Sumit