[ubuntu-art] gtk theme

Troy James Sobotka troy.sobotka at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 07:12:51 GMT 2008

Andrea Cimitan wrote:
> So we will implement (he is the right guy to do this) this feature the
> day we get a sane way to do it, without the hackish way in eXperience.

I see it pop up time and time again that Linux or Free Software isn't
doing YYY or XXX because it is 'hackish'.  We end up wallowing in
Windows95 tech on more than a few fronts because of it.  Animated icons,
animated progress bars, etc. - all progressive ideas that have been
quashed by the status quo because we don't have an 'official' way to do it.

Ubuntu and many other Free Software branches seek to hit mainstream and
hit it hard.  This means that we _must_ let go of some of the
perfectionism and get the things that matter into the eyes of the people
who care.

Free Software should be a bastion of innovation, not a reclusive attic
of stale mothballs.

Patch the code.  Kludge it out when we have no other option.  Let the
progression happen.

TJS