[ubuntu-art] gtk theme

Andrea Cimitan cimi86 at alice.it
Wed Mar 5 19:53:39 GMT 2008

Il giorno mer, 05/03/2008 alle 13.52 +0100, Sebastian Billaudelle ha
scritto:
> Hi folks!
>
> Because my modem-driver is broken (never play around with
> startup-scripts;-)) I wasn't able to read the mails.
> I'll do it later, because I'm sitting in an internet cafe and I'm a
> little bit short in time.
>
> I'm sorry for my bad and short post. I'll post more later!
>
> I've looked into the xl_cheese-/clearlooks-engine and changed some
> points.
> I could go on like this fixing the points written before.
>
> At first, there was the problem that windows without a toolbar looked
> ugly, because the color of the menubar was not the same as the windows
> bg-color.
> That's changed now: The menubar is colored like the background of the
> window and the gradient of the toolbar is changed a little bit to fit
> to that change...
>
> The first point is the "unity of the menubaritem and the menu itself".
> I looked into the code of the eXperience-engine and hacked a little
> bit in clearlooks.
> That should work now to, even if the menu is placed higher than the
> menubar (Then the menubaritem-widget is turned "upside down").
> Compiz/Emerald is still a problem...
I'm the Clearlooks developer (yes Murrine too :P ), my friend Benzea is
the Maintainer of Clearlooks, and he is the author of the eXperience
engine :D
So we will implement (he is the right guy to do this) this feature the
day we get a sane way to do it, without the hackish way in eXperience.
Another *huge* problem is that menuitems don't get shadows, so the whole
menu will always look ugly, except an highly decentered shadow like in
your sceenshot.
(I'm using centered shadows, with 0 x-y offset, like a lot of huys... so
this feature without shadow on menuitems will cause just glitches)

> Here's a little screenshot:
> http://img248.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bildschirmfoto1su9.png
> Later I'll upload the engine, but I've to clean up the code before
> (This was my first contact to C;-)).
NO, please NO yet another engine. I was totally against the decision of
xlcheese to publish his patch as another engine and I will against a
similar idea.
Many years ago was created a tool, called DIFF, do publish your patches
in a clean and simple way.
Just attach your patch for Clearlooks, Murrine or whatever.
In a future, if the patch is sane and we agree (in the meaning it's not
hackish and it will work with compiz/shadows), that thing could be part
of Gnome.
It's so useless to publish a fork with more than 95% of the same code.
Yes, NODOKA (aka murrine with a different name and fixed hilight_ratio
and other options) is an useless engine. And I will be laughing when
I'll publish the next release which is faster, better looking,
alpha-capable, with a *100 times better* structured code :) Just to
notice its capabilities, Murrine's SVN in just 10 lines of code can
emulate Nodoka engine, with the benefits of a faster but also more
secure/stable code :) (just add style = NODOKA in your gtkrc) eheh

> cheers stein
cheers Cimi