[ubuntu-art] Stop kickin' the dead horse - Create a full Union GTK theme.

Ken Vermette vermette at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 20:09:38 GMT 2008

I just updated the wiki to include some buttons and tabs, so there's a rough
idea of the direction widgets could be going. I pushed it out as quickly as
I could, but I didn't have my regular machine so I couldn't build it as
quickly as I would have liked. I'll have an update later today with multiple
desktop wallpapers and the like, with more widgets as well. I'll also polish
existing widgets.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the GTK, so I'll see if I can get
some contributions into the GTK as well, but for now I'll focus on Emerald,
and an opaque version of Union.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Hardy/Alternate/Union

Also, I'm leaving on the 13th of this month, so my last updates will be on
the night of the 12th before I go into a 3-month blackout. It could
potentially be over a year I'm disconnected, but I believe it will only be 3
months. Either way, I'll probably gone until the LTS of Ubuntu comes out -
so if there's anything anybody needs/wants, tell me so I can get it done.

On Jan 3, 2008 11:49 PM, xl cheese <xl_cheese at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'm thinking we can go ahead and get as close as we can to his mockup with
> what is currently available.  Then tackle the nitty gritty stuff possibly
> hacking some engines.
>
> Attached a slightly updated gtk.
> ________________________________
> > From: sebbil at gmx.de
> > To: ubuntu-art at lists.ubuntu.com
> > Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 12:07:42 +0100
> > Subject: Re: [ubuntu-art] Stop kickin' the dead horse - Create a full
> Union GTK theme.
> >
> > Hi folks!
> >
> > I think one of the problems creating a theme like Kens mockup could be,
> that (AFAIK) there is no gtk-engine supporting things like rounded corners
> for menus, because the only transparency we can get there comes from
> compiz/beryl/xcompmgr.
> > I think we would need to hack an engine...
> >
> > cheers Sebastian Billaudelle
> > Am Mittwoch, den 02.01.2008, 23:32 -0500 schrieb Ken Vermette:
> > I've tackled Emerald, I'll be honest and say "I suck" when it comes to
> the live conversion, so it could probably be done better. I'll post what I
> have done tomorrow the moment I get at my regular development machine
> (traveling). I'll also make a variation with an opaque content arera in case
> Cimis' GTK mod is a beast, and to help get things rolling. We might need it
> anyway for low-end machines using Metacity.
> >
> > Should I post the Emerald theme I have in the Wiki? Or is there anywhere
> you would prefer to keep the files?
> >
> > (Also, thank you! Been fighting this stuff tooth and nail, I'm still
> very new to the theme formats)
> >
> > --Ken Vermette
> >
> > On Jan 2, 2008 11:07 PM, xl cheese < xl_cheese at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm going to try to mimick Ken's mockups as close as I can with a true
> gtk theme.  If anyone here would like to help out with it email and we can
> take it offline.  I'll start using the pixmap engine for things I can't get
> any current themes to make then attempt to alter some other engines to do it
> and replace the pixmap parts.
> > ________________________________
> >> Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 22:52:09 -0500
> >> From: vermette at gmail.com
> >> To: ubuntu-art at lists.ubuntu.com
> >> Subject: Re: [ubuntu-art] Moving things forwards.
> >>
> >> "Ooh, what's that one?"
> >>
> >> OSX is long held as one of the boldest and most unique designs in the
> industry, when Windows was just toying with XP - Apple made the ultra-shiny,
> over-glossed look and threw in every effect they could think of and paired
> it with a pinstripe. If you look at OSX now, compared to when it was first
> demonstrated, it has toned down dramatically; no pinstripes, for example.
> >>
> >> That being said, I'm a firm believer in designs that are both bold and
> unique. If it's unique, people will remember it. If it's bold, people will
> talk about it. When you see a desktop screen-shot of Vista, you know it's
> Vista. Vista is bold, unique. When you see OSX, you can see the dock - the
> [...]

-Ken Vermette