[ubuntu-art] Reversion to Dapper Artwork

Who mailforwho at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 13 00:29:38 BST 2006

On 10/12/06, tonic <ghatanothoa at gmail.com> wrote:
> There is no need to abandon the work. We can definitely do a release of
> a "best of" community artwork (it doesn't have to be default, but it
> would be nice to have it default available at least - I'll give a use
> case after this paragraph). In no way can we make the dudes running this
> show use our artwork, but we can find ways to get it out there and
> polish the Ubuntu art community in the process.

Sounds great, but I _think_ we're too late to have it in main...
However, there are the 'theme team themes' which I believe have made
it in (to main..) which should provide a nice variation for those who
want to try a new look and are community developed.

Perhaps these should be highlighted somewhere on the release notes as
a way to make people who feel the look is not sufficiently 'new' for
them feel catered for/make them aware of them- it is one of the things
that the community has worked really well to achieve and that we
should be proud of :)

> Also, do you have a code of best practise for producing art? An example
> in regards to wallpapers would be:
>
> Wallpapers must be available in 4:3(standard) and 16:10(widescreen)
> aspect ratios. However when producing the widescreen version it is best
> to create an extremely similar image that is better suited to that
> aspect ratio than to crop or scale the current work.
>
> Finally, it would be nice to see which elements of the Ubuntu art must
> relate or conform to each other. e.g. Usplash themes would have to be
> consistent in layout with the GDM theme, but the widgets used be
> consistent with the Ubuntu GTK theme. This would make it easy to create
> and evaluate art. It also helps in keeping an eye on changes that would
> need to flow on. If you decide to change direction with the GDM theme,
> it will have implications for the Usplash theme.

You're asking the right questions! We desperately need _clear_
guidelines like these to avoid the issue we have now where so much
work has been done but not enough of it conforms to the standards that
Mark needs for Ubuntu to be perfect. I hope this will be a key part of
the process for Edgy+1 - stick around and help us out :)

Who