Some clients not booting (that used to boot in Hardy)

Krsnendu dasa krsnendu108 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 00:45:53 UTC 2009

 I commented out nbd swap. Also renamed lts.conf
moved changeroot and rebuild image.

Still doesn't work.

I have posted some of the output from ltsp-build-client in case it gives any
clues.

Setting up ltsp-client-core (5.1.29-0ubuntu3) ...
debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Passthrough
debconf: (Failed to open fd 3: Bad file descriptor at (eval 22) line 3)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Noninteractive

Setting up lsof (4.78.dfsg.1-4) ...
Setting up openssh-client (1:5.1p1-3ubuntu1) ...
debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Passthrough
debconf: (Failed to open fd 3: Bad file descriptor at (eval 22) line 3)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Noninteractive

Setting up linux-sound-base (1.0.17.dfsg-2ubuntu1) ...
debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Passthrough
debconf: (Failed to open fd 3: Bad file descriptor at (eval 22) line 3)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Noninteractive

Setting up usplash (0.5.25) ...
debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Passthrough
debconf: (Failed to open fd 3: Bad file descriptor at (eval 22) line 3)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Noninteractive
Setting up policykit (0.9-1ubuntu3) ...

Setting up hal (0.5.11-4ubuntu4) ...
polkit-auth: This operation requires the system message bus and ConsoleKit
to be running

Setting up xserver-xorg (1:7.4~5ubuntu3) ...
debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Passthrough
debconf: (Failed to open fd 3: Bad file descriptor at (eval 22) line 3)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Noninteractive

Setting up fontconfig-config (2.6.0-1ubuntu4) ...
debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Passthrough
debconf: (Failed to open fd 3: Bad file descriptor at (eval 22) line 3)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Noninteractive

Updating font configuration of pango...
Cleaning up category xfont..
Updating category xfont..
*** You don't have any defomized font packages.
*** So we are trying to force to generate pangox.aliases...

Setting up libpango1.0-0 (1.22.1-0ubuntu1) ...

..
  edubuntu-artwork-usplash
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 107kB of archives.
After this operation, 2937kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com intrepid/main edubuntu-artwork-usplash
0.1.0-55ubuntu1 [107kB]
Fetched 107kB in 2s (45.1kB/s)
debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Passthrough
debconf: (Failed to open fd 3: Bad file descriptor at (eval 22) line 3)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Noninteractive
Can not write log, openpty() failed (/dev/pts not mounted?)
Selecting previously deselected package edubuntu-artwork-usplash.
(Reading database ... 15271 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking edubuntu-artwork-usplash (from
.../edubuntu-artwork-usplash_0.1.0-55ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
Can not write log, openpty() failed (/dev/pts not mounted?)
Setting up edubuntu-artwork-usplash (0.1.0-55ubuntu1) ...
update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)

  kubuntu-artwork-usplash
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 107kB of archives.
After this operation, 2728kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com intrepid/main kubuntu-artwork-usplash
1:8.10-13 [107kB]
Fetched 107kB in 1s (70.4kB/s)
debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Passthrough
debconf: (Failed to open fd 3: Bad file descriptor at (eval 22) line 3)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Noninteractive
Can not write log, openpty() failed (/dev/pts not mounted?)
Selecting previously deselected package kubuntu-artwork-usplash.
(Reading database ... 15275 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking kubuntu-artwork-usplash (from
.../kubuntu-artwork-usplash_1%3a8.10-13_i386.deb) ...
Can not write log, openpty() failed (/dev/pts not mounted?)
Setting up kubuntu-artwork-usplash (1:8.10-13) ...
update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)

  linux-firmware linux-image-2.6.27-7-generic linux-image-generic
0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 26.8MB of archives.
After this operation, 102MB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com intrepid/main linux-image-2.6.27-7-generic
2.6.27-7.14 [23.4MB]
Get:2 http://archive.ubuntu.com intrepid/main linux-firmware 1.2
[3365kB]
Get:3 http://archive.ubuntu.com intrepid/main linux-image-generic
2.6.27.7.11 [2802B]
Fetched 26.8MB in 6min3s
(73.7kB/s)
debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Passthrough
debconf: (Failed to open fd 3: Bad file descriptor at (eval 22) line 3)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Noninteractive
Can not write log, openpty() failed (/dev/pts not mounted?)
Selecting previously deselected package linux-image-2.6.27-7-generic.
(Reading database ... 15279 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking linux-image-2.6.27-7-generic (from
.../linux-image-2.6.27-7-generic_2.6.27-7.14_i386.deb) ...
debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Passthrough
debconf: (Failed to open fd 3: Bad file descriptor at (eval 22) line 3)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Noninteractive
Done.
Setting up linux-image-2.6.27-7-generic (2.6.27-7.14) ...

Info: port 2000 is already defined with /opt/ltsp/images/i386.img in
inetd.conf
Info: taking no action.
info: LTSP client installation completed successfully
root at hkserver1:/opt/ltsp#