Installing KDE desktop from CD

Jordan Mantha laserjock at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 23 18:17:00 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 10:43 AM, David Ally <david_ally at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Please i need urgent help on installing KDE desktop on my ubuntu machine. I
> have all the CDs, Kubuntu, Mythbuntu, Ubuntu Desktop, Server, Xbuntu,
> etc.but it seems adding kde desktop using them is beyond my knowledge.
>
> I issue these commands;
>
> sudo mount /dev/cdrom
> sudo apt-get install kde-core

So the problem here is that apt doesn't know about the CD
automatically. You can use apt-cdrom to add the cdrom to your apt
repository sources list (/etc/apt/sources.list).

First though, it's important that you have the Kubuntu Alternate CD,
not the Desktop CD. This is because the Desktop CD is a LiveCD system
and doesn't contain very many .debs at all. The Alternate CDs have all
the needed .debs on them so that's what you want to use in general if
you are upgrading to a new release or installing packages from CD.

If you have the Kubuntu Alternate CD burned already then run:
  sudo apt-cdrom add
wait for it to index the CD,
  sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install kde-core

> etc, but it's taken over 24 hours downloading the files from the Internet on
> my slow link. There should be a way to install directly from cd without
> needing the Internet, pls help.

Ubuntu certainly tries to be as friendly as possible to the
bandwidth-challenged. That's why a primary reason we've stuck to
having single-CD installs. Besides using Alternate CDs for networkless
installation you might also look into the Ubuntu DVD (big initial
bandwidth cost but has the most software) or AptonCD
(http://aptoncd.sourceforge.net/) which is more of a "just get what
you need" system that many people like.

Hope that helps,

-Jordan