[xubuntu-users] libpng warning after latest update

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Thu Dec 23 09:36:44 UTC 2021

On Thu, 23 Dec 2021 00:47:12 +0000, Hans Schneidhofer wrote:
>__logging_message__01:15:41.121 WARN unknown libpng warning: iCCP:
>known incorrrect sRGB profile
>
>The result is, clementine doesn't start.

Hi,

I seriously doubt that a fishy colour profile prevents software to
start. It's just a warning, not an error. I suspect the root
cause is something else. Usually graphic software for Linux pretends to
get the colour profile correct, but anyway displays completely broken
colours. I'm doing almost all of my artwork with proprietary Apple
software. One reason for this are colour profile issues, when using
free as in beer Linux software. If I e.g. use Krita with a sRGB EIZO
display and an averaged/normal sRGB colour profile by Krita, the results
are higgledy-piggledy biased views. For the sRGB screen I need to chose
a freakish Rec2020-elle-V4-srgbtrc.icc profile to get something close to
sRGB.

At worst pictures aren't displayed. Several Linux apps generate JEPGs
that can't be displayed by other Linux apps, let alone non-Linux apps,
but apart from not showing those JEPGs, the apps run and are doing what
they should do. The JEPG issue is probably not related to the colour
profile, but something else media "standards" related.

If you run Clementine from command line, don't you get error messages?
Do you only get this warning?

Regards,
Ralf