[xubuntu-users] Video playing in xubuntu

Victor Forberger vforberger at fastmail.fm
Sun Apr 28 17:34:42 UTC 2019

On 4/28/19 12:19 PM, Jeffrey Needle wrote:
> I received a dvd with audio and video files with a _TS type.  I don't
> know what that is.  Neither parole nor vlc will play the files.  Any
> thoughts?  Using xubuntu, 64-bit, fresh iso download, fresh install,
> fully updated.  Thanks.

You have a movie DVD, probably encrypted, for which libdvdcss2 is needed.

Check out the help section on DVDs:

https://docs.xubuntu.org/1804/user/C/media-apps.html#media-movie-dvd-video

And, here is some info previously provided on this e-list:

DVD PLAYBACK ON UBUNTU
- Install the libdvdnav4, libdvdread4 and gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly
packages.

- If you would like to play encrypted DVDs, open → Accessories →
Terminal Emulator and type the following into the Terminal followed by
the Enter key: sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh

- Enter your password if prompted. The libdvdcss2 package will be
downloaded and installed from a website.

- Insert a DVD into your drive. It should open automatically in the
Parole Media Player.

I had to make a similar adjustment in vlc under Tools -> Preferences ->
Input & Codecs at the Optical drive section.  Like yours, changing
/dev/dvd to /dev/sr0. Perhaps the developers can create a symbolic link
to /dev/dvd so these programs will work.

Start with the help section info first.

- Victor

--
Victor Forberger