[xubuntu-users] Installation questions

David Walland davidwalland at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 8 11:01:23 UTC 2019

Hi David,

I've only used a single SSD on my Xubuntu systems.  As long as you protect
it from being written to more than necessary, it's fine.  On an ancient
system running Xubuntu 2010 LTS with 1 GB of memory (the max) and a 30GB
SSD, I can go from cold start to on the internet in 15 secs!

My main question to you would be to ask why you don't just use SSD(s).  I
recently bought a brand new 128GB one for an iPod for GBP48 on eBay.  I'm
pretty sure that ordinary ones are considerably less per GB.

10 years ago, when I bought the 30GB one for my ancient laptop (purely run
as a toy and designed in the last century!), it cost me £30 second-hand,
which hardly broke the bank *then*.

Still horses for courses as they say.

David Walland

On Mon, 8 Apr 2019 at 11:32, David Wright <daveubuntu71 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I should hopefully be building a new PC at some point this year and wanted
> to gauge opinion on a couple of points.
>
> 1. SSD - my plan is to have the OS on a nice fast SSD and all my files on
> a regular hard-drive.  do I have to do anything different during
> installation or will Xubuntu "just see" my SSD?
>
> 2. UEFI - again, do I have to do anything different during the
> installation to allow for UEFI?
>
> Installation will be via USB flashdrive.
>
> Many thanks as always
> David

*A race is won by ability, not skin colour*