[xubuntu-users] Repo issues

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Mon Apr 8 05:11:49 UTC 2019

On Sun, 7 Apr 2019 22:03:11 -0400, linux.rog at gmail.com wrote:
>On Sun, 7 Apr 2019 20:42:03 -0500, Lutz Andersohn wrote:
>>I am wondering whether anybody else has these issues:
>>I did a fresh install of 16.04.5LTS.
>>updated my repositories
>>- I cannot install gimp. Broken packages because libgegl. It
>>essentially conflicts with its own libgegl-dev package
>>- I cannot install build-essential: conflict with the installed gcc
>>and libstdc6 and the -dev. There is no way to resolve these packages
>>that I can see.
>>affects any package that even remotely depends on any of these.
>>I tried archive.ubuntu.com/archive and us.ubuntu.archive.com/archive
>>with the same sad outcome.
>>Some posts on for example askubuntu have been shown down as being not
>>reproducible.
>>Trust me, it's very reproducible for those effected by it.

Hi,

it cannot be reproducible for other, since you did not mention which
steps you exactly made. It's good that you updated your repositories,
but you did not mention how you updated the repositories. Did you use a
GUI, did you do it by command line? The best practise is to run from
command line...

>>Any help would be appreciated
>Maybe try
>    apt-get dist-upgrade

...don't follow instructions that don't try to troubleshoot, but just
try to tinker and consider to use the official Ubuntu command line
package management tool apt first. IOW run

sudo apt update

Are there any warnings and/or error messages?
If so, copy and paste the command and it's output to an email.
If not, continue with

sudo apt full-upgrade

are there any warnings and/or error messages?
If so, copy and paste the command and it's output to an email.
If not, continue with...

>Or, there is a new version of The GIMP available. Try un-installing
>what you have
>   apt-get autoclean
>   apt-get dist-upgrade
>
>Then download from
>https://www.gimp.org/downloads
>And install.
>
>Always read release notes first.

...trying to install GIMP. Btw. for what purpose do you need the
libgegl-dev package?

FWIW there at least is no version conflict, see

libgegl-dev (0.3.4-1ubuntu2)
https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/libgegl-dev

libgegl-0.3-0 (0.3.4-1ubuntu2)
https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/libgegl-0.3-0.

sudo apt update
sudo apt install gimp

Copy and paste the command and it's output. The output will show us the
reason for the conflict, so we could tell you what to do, to get rid of
the conflict.

If you copy a command and it's output, then please don't (auto-)wrap the
lines.

>FWIW,  Xubuntu16.04 is at end of life site you might upgrade first and
>go from tbere.

Any reference for that claim?

Xubuntu is an official Ubuntu flavour, so EOL of 16.04 is April 2021,
see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases.

Not all repositories are maintained in the same way, see
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories, but that doesn't mean
that the dependency chain is allowed to be inconsistent.

FWIW

[weremouse at moonstudio ~]$ lsb_release -a
LSB Version:
core-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-amd64:core-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-noarch:security-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-amd64:security-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-noarch
Distributor ID:	Ubuntu Description:	Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS
Release:	16.04
Codename:	xenial
[weremouse at moonstudio ~]$ apt list -a gimp libgegl-0.3-0
Listing... Done
gimp/xenial-updates,xenial-security,now 2.8.16-1ubuntu1.1 amd64
[installed] gimp/xenial 2.8.16-1ubuntu1 amd64

libgegl-0.3-0/xenial,now 0.3.4-1ubuntu2 amd64 [installed,automatic]

[weremouse at moonstudio ~]$ sudo apt update
[sudo] password for weremouse:
Hit:1 http://ppa.launchpad.net/nilarimogard/webupd8/ubuntu xenial InRelease
Get:2 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security InRelease [109 kB]
Hit:3 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial InRelease
Get:4 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates InRelease [109 kB]
Get:5 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports InRelease [107 kB]
Fetched 325 kB in 0s (478 kB/s)
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
All packages are up to date.
[weremouse at moonstudio ~]$ sudo apt install libgegl-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
  libbabl-dev
  libbabl-dev libgegl-dev
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 73.8 kB of archives.
After this operation, 1,013 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
Get:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/universe amd64 libbabl-dev amd64 0.1.16-1 [5,346 B]
Get:2 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/universe amd64 libgegl-dev amd64 0.3.4-1ubuntu2 [68.4 kB]
Fetched 73.8 kB in 5s (13.8 kB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package libbabl-dev:amd64.
(Reading database ... 247375 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../libbabl-dev_0.1.16-1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libbabl-dev:amd64 (0.1.16-1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libgegl-dev:amd64.
Preparing to unpack .../libgegl-dev_0.3.4-1ubuntu2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libgegl-dev:amd64 (0.3.4-1ubuntu2) ...
Setting up libbabl-dev:amd64 (0.1.16-1) ...
Setting up libgegl-dev:amd64 (0.3.4-1ubuntu2) ...
[weremouse at moonstudio ~]$ echo $?
0
[weremouse at moonstudio ~]$ sudo apt purge libbabl-dev libgegl-dev
[snip]

As you can see, it's possible to install gimp and libgegl-dev. Please
follow my troubleshooting advises.

Regards,
Ralf