[xubuntu-users] Garmin sat nav updates

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Sun Jun 17 22:09:11 UTC 2018

On 17/06/18 11:43, James Freer wrote:
> For over four years I have been able to update my sat nav 52LM model
> with Openstreetmap data each month which has worked fine with Linux.

I didn't know you could do that with any commercial GPS unit.

> I also think OSM is better than either TomTom or Garmin maps.

It can't be worse than rubbish maps that TomTom palms off on Irish
users. I have never had a Garmin unit, but the two TomToms I have had
seem decent enough, but the mapping data quality here is abysmal.

> Only use Xubuntu so have not been able to do Garmin Express updates as a
> windows PC is required.

TomTom desktop client is Mac or Windows only.

> Is it possible to use Wine to read the Garmin Express or another
> method.

I don't know about the regular WINE, but I use the commercial
CodeWeavers version (Crossover, about €50) to run genuine MS Office so
that I can use Word, and I did try it with the TomTom client a couple of
years back but it hung.

> It does seem odd for Garmin to be set up for Mac users (which
> is Linuxish) but not Linux.

Companies are notoriously ignorant about product platform managment.
TomToms are all Linux inside, but they claim to know nothing about linux.

> One solution is to get a windows PC!!!

Virtualize. Cumbersome, messy, time-consuming, and you need a license,
plus you need a seriously fast machine if you want to be able to run in
parallel.

> I did try and speak to the garmin UK office and he merely tried to
> sell me the latest Dezi model. It would seem their sales are
> flagging... mobile phones being the 1st choice.
Yes, I think all satnavs are being hit by Google nav and similar at the
domestic/sporadic end of the market.

> It does seem that the phone apps are the best bet now. Trouble is I
> find they are not reliable for a 10-12 hour working day - crashing or
> screen freezing.

I guess that's one area where satnavs score, although I see taxi drivers
using cellphone nav all day and night, apparently without problems.

I find it very odd that no-one produces a satnav which natively uses OSM
data. Numerous attempts, but nothing concrete or stable.

///Peter