[xubuntu-users] Media Players Don't Display Video

Victor Forberger vforberger at fastmail.fm
Sun Jul 29 13:41:55 UTC 2018

On 07/28/2018 03:35 PM, Bruno Benitez wrote:
> I had similar problems and fixed them creating
> /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf with this:
>
> Section "Device"
>    Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
>    Driver      "intel"
>    Option      "AccelMethod"  "uxa"
> EndSection
>
> El sáb., 28 jul. 2018 a las 13:38, Rog (<linux.rog at gmail.com
> <mailto:linux.rog at gmail.com>>) escribió:
>
>     I get no video with Parole and VLC. In fact, Parole now crashes when
>     invoked. I do get sound with VLC. So, it would seem the problem is
>     "outside" of these two media players.
>
>     I have removed and re-installed both applications and the problem
>     persists.
>
>     apt-get dist-upgrade does not solve the problem.
>
>     Curiously, GNOME Mplayer and mpv Media Player do display video (and
>     play sound). But, I prefer Parole because it has better
>     functionality. The GNOME Mplayer can not be resized while mpv Media
>     Player doesn't have a viewable playlist.
>
>     I'd like to make Parole work.
>
>     --
>     Roger
>     linux.rog at gmail.com <mailto:linux.rog at gmail.com>
>

> --
> Bruno.-

Two possible fixes:

PAROLE MOVIE PLAYER FIX
The solution to the Xubuntu Parole errors: "GStreamer backend error" or
"Could not initialise Xv output" is to run in the command line the
following, only once:

    parole --xv false

VIDEO FIX in XUBUNTU
You can always revert to the generic video drivers by renaming/removing
the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, regardles of the installed drivers if
xorg.conf is absent the system will use the default ones.

- Victor

--
Victor Forberger
vforberger at fastmail.fm