[xubuntu-users] 18.04.1 Point Release Testing

MR ZenWiz mrzenwiz at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 17:42:44 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 10:19 AM, flocculant <flocculant at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
> Builds are now available for us to test.

I installed this in a VM and have been using it for my normal workload
for the last two days.

So far, everything seems to work fairly well, with few exceptions.

One is I keep my xfce4-keybaord-shortcuts.xml in one of my local
directories so I can apply them to any machine on which I plan to
work.  When I copied them from my local directory to my per-channel
config directory
(~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml),
they had no effect.  I even logged out and logged back in to no
effect.  I had to reset all the ones I wanted the most manually.

Another exception was the panel theme and appearance.  I use a
vertical panel on my desktops (I prefer to use all the vertical space
and not have a panel across either the top or the bottom, and I don't
like to have it disappear at all).  I was using the Greybird
appearance theme on 16.04 with the Piranha Window theme, but in 18.03,
the labels on the panel items are horizontal only (they weren't in
16.04).  I had to switch the appearance theme to Adwaita-Dark to get
the vertical labels and the same shadings back.  Not a biggie, but a
minor pain.  (I also keep a library of themes in a zip file so I can
install them on newer systems as well.)

Other than that, the following work just fine so far:

bash and all the command line commands I use most often, including all
my aliases and functions.
Chrome
Firefox
LibreOffice (didn't even update to 6.0.5, which I've been using on
16.04, since 6.0.3 is close enough for me)
VLC
zip
unzip
ffmpeg

I hope the following also work (can't really test these at work...):

mplayer
mencoder (which is broken in 16.04)
lame
flac
seamonkey
xscreensaver

I'm sure there are others, but that's all that comes to mind at the moment.