[xubuntu-users] Off topic, suggestions for light weight linux OS

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Jul 16 07:33:14 UTC 2018

On Sat, 14 Jul 2018 23:14:42 -0400
Art <ky1k at myfairpoint.net> wrote:

> I need some help deciding which linux distro to install. It's a
> special project which needs the following:
>
> Must run directly from a usb or sd card
> Must support gpg for strong encryption (gpg)
> Must be light weight and fast loading*
> Must offer an encrypted home folder option
> Must store unencrypted files securely if needed, can't be a 'live'
> usb/sd** Must load FAST
> Must support wireless
> Must be secure, high security is a plus
> Prefer xfce, not mandatory
> Prefer long life cycle, such as Ubuntu's LTS
> Prefer no frills
> Prefer Xubuntu, since it's what I use***

I can't envision exactly what you're doing, but check out Void Linux
using a lightweight window manager like Openbox or LXDE. You mentioned
Xfce, but Xfce is definitely not "light."

You mentioned long life cycles. Void is a rolling release,so you might
not like that. Provisions for regular updates have to be made.

You mention security. If this is a priority, what about OpenBSD?

I think the work you'll need to perform to get any 'Buntu to be light
weight will overwhelm, because light isn't 'Buntu's core competency.
You run 'Buntu when you want "always works, requires little thought." A
laptop for doing presentations comes to mind.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key