[xubuntu-users] Dual Boot With Windows and Xuduntu !6.04 Help

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Tue Jan 2 21:35:42 UTC 2018

On 02/01/18 20:52, leegold wrote:
> in addition it says: gpt

All I can offer is what I found when installing on a Dell XPS 15

GPT is some type of partition format, I think. I had to use gparted
while booted from the USB in order to reformat with gpt.

> On Tue, Jan 2, 2018, at 11:50 AM, leegold wrote:
>> What should I know to install  16.04 64 onto a Toshiba laptop with UEFI?

I was told several times (and I had concluded anyway) that I should
*not* use UEFI.

>> Or should I install newest non-LTS 17.10 version (but I read there were
>> some nasty issues with UEFI and 17.10).
>>
>> Do I need to disable secure boot? Assume I do.

I set the BOOS to secure boot disabled, and legacy boot enabled (ie no
UEFI). That worked.

>> Shrunk C: for Linux space. The HD has 5 partitions. From “left to right”:
>>
>>      300MB Recovery
>>      100MB EFI System
>>      C: 500GB “where the exiting Win10 lives”
>>      92GB Unallocated, gained from shrinking C:, aim to put / and swap
>> parts. there.
>>      891MB Recovery

My assumption would be that the 4th partition is the one that needs
establishing as GPT before formatting. But I may have misunderstood
this, as I was using the whole disk.

>> From what I read Grub has to “play nice” with EFI. My question is, when
>> I install, where do I install Grub? What do I do? I see an EFI partition
>> and don’t want to “hose” anything. There are lots of recopies and
>> concoctions when I google.

I don't know the answer to this as it's a dual boot. I assume that Linux
installers will see that Windows is installed, and put a working Grub on
the boot area of the primary partition. Apparently in a single-install
(Linux-only), the installers no longer create a boot partition but
install Grub on the main partition.

But again, this is largely guesswork on my part — as you say, the web
pages disagree wildly.

///Peter