[xubuntu-users] Xubuntu 18.04 slow boot, DRM bug?

john at giddykipper.me.uk john at giddykipper.me.uk
Mon Apr 30 20:18:04 UTC 2018

Hi,
I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 with a fresh install of the final release of Xubuntu 18.04. The distro works great once booted, but it takes nearly 5 minutes to start up, even with an SSD.

dmesg shows 24 instances of an error, each adding 10 seconds to the boot time, all looking similar to the following:

[  254.428172] [drm:drm_atomic_helper_wait_for_dependencies [drm_kms_helper]] *ERROR* [PLANE:35:plane B] flip_done timed out
This machine has successfully run earlier versions of Ubuntu.  The graphics chipset is Intel GMA X3100/GM965. Everything else seems to work, and if I can eliminate this one issue I should get the boot time down to less than 10 seconds.

Googling shows this has been a problem for some people on various machines for years, so can't believe its still a bug.  Anybody seen something similar?

Whilst I've been using Linux for two decades I'm not a software guy and rarely tinker under the hood, so go easy!

Thanks in anticipation,
John