[xubuntu-users] No scrollbar steppers in xfce4-terninal

Teresa e Junior teresaejunior at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 22:58:42 UTC 2017

Em 09/11/2017 18:00, Stuart McGraw escreveu:
> On 11/08/2017 03:39 PM, Teresa e Junior wrote:
>> Murrine is GTK+2, you need a GTK+3 theme for current versions of xfce4-terminal.
>
> Thanks, but are you saying that a gtk+3 theme should have steppers
> enabled?  I tried the "greybird" theme (seems to be gtk+3 from what
> I can tell) but no steppers.  And with Murrine on F23 I *did* have
> steppers in xfce4-terminal.

Yes, you would need a GTK+3 theme that has steppers enabled.

> There seems to be on the order of ~100 theme packages available
> (that's excluding -icon- themes) so downloading and trying randomly
> does not seem to be a practical approach.

Indeed. When I want a new GTK+ theme, I browse the themes with
screenshots at https://www.xfce-look.org/browse/cat/135/ord/top/ (read
more below before doing that). Unfortunately, many screenshots don't
show how the scrollbars look like, though.

> The only other info I can think to add is that I notice that on
> Fedora I was using xfce4-terminal-0.6.3; on Ubuntu it is xfce4-
> terminal-0.8.6.

xfce4-terminal 0.6.3 in Ubuntu 16.04 was GTK+2 indeed, but it has been
ported to GTK+3 since Ubuntu 16.10. Newer versions of Fedora will most
likely be the same.

> Additional suggestions or clarification gratefully welcomed...this
> problem is seriously hampering my use of Ubuntu.

I have managed to show the scrollbars steppers on Greybird by editing
the theme, but scrolling by clicking on the steppers is ridiculously
slow (also the steppers are almost transparent):

$ mkdir ~/.themes/
$ cp -r /usr/share/themes/Greybird/ ~/.themes/
$ mousepad ~/.themes/Greybird/gtk-3.0/gtk-contained.css
replace
     -GtkScrollbar-has-backward-stepper: false;
     -GtkScrollbar-has-forward-stepper: false; }
with
     -GtkScrollbar-has-backward-stepper: true;
     -GtkScrollbar-has-forward-stepper: true; }
restart xfce4-terminal

So I went to xfce-look.org, and searched for a GTK+3 theme with the
steppers pre-enabled, and found this one
https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1013663/ (which is ugly but would serve the
test). Scrolling the terminal with it is also painfully slow.

The method I use to scroll the terminal myself is by creating a vertical
border to scroll with the touchpad, and also Shift+PageUp and
Shift+PageDown will scroll one page of terminal output.

If editing the Greybird theme was not enough for you, you may want to
remove this modified version:
$ rm -rf ~/.themes/Greybird/