[xubuntu-users] Three questions.-

Victor Forberger vforberger at fastmail.fm
Wed May 24 13:20:46 UTC 2017

On 05/21/2017 01:35 PM, Andrés E. Bracho S. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I subscribed to this mailing list two days ago.
>
> I bought a brand new laptop (Asus X555Y) and I finally managed to pass
> the bios and install a complete Xubuntu 17.04. Now I'm trying to install
> my printer (Canon MP250) but it's missing libtiff4. What can I do?

See https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=libtiff4

Was part of 14.04

Trying sudo apt-get install libtiff4-dev

Gets the following:

sudo apt-get install libtiff4-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package libtiff4-dev is not available, but is referred to by another
package.
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
  libtiff5-dev:i386 libtiff5-dev
E: Package 'libtiff4-dev' has no installation candidate

My guess is that the printer driver you're trying to install is
obsolete. A look at
https://www.openprinting.org/printer/Canon/Canon-Pixma_MP250 indicates
that the Canon Australia site was the only source for the right driver
and is no longer available.

> Another issue is that I'm trying to install Slingscold but none of the
> repositories I'm adding is working. None can find the app which is up
> and running on my very old Acer Aspire One Z5 also running Xubuntu 17.04
> (but upgrading since 15.04). Where can I find a deb package for
> Slimgcold or an alternative but similar dashboard?

No idea. But, keep in mind that xfce is highly customizable. See
http://www.ravefinity.com/ for instance for themes and icons. A PPA is
available.

> Finally, I installed Master PDF Editor and installed very well but when
> clicking on it icon nothing happens. The app does not run. Any idea why?

Try running Master PDF from the command-line to determine if the program
is installed. The terminal command is masterpdfeditor4. If the terminal
command works, the panel launcher is broken.

I'm not sure how to fix the problem in whistermenu (it's complicated).
But, I use standalone launchers for my most used apps. So, for Master
PDF, create a new launcher or edit your current launcher. The command
for the launcher should be /opt/master-pdf-editor-4/masterpdfeditor4 %f.

> Now that I'm thinking in netiquete. should I split this mail in three
> parts or is ok to send it like this...
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Regards,
> Andrés.-