[xubuntu-users] No indication of disk checks at login

flocculant flocculant at gmx.co.uk
Fri May 19 20:52:56 UTC 2017

On 17/05/17 13:26, Chris Green wrote:
> I used to get a (small) message on the pre-login screen when fsck disk
> checks were done automatically at start up.  These seem to have
> disappeared now.
>
> Is this a bug?  It's really necessary for the system to say something
> as otherwise it simply looks as if the boot has hung for some reason
> and with big disks it can take a long time for the checks to complete.

First - are you sure that fsck is running? You've not changed the fstab
options?

Secondly - I have 2 types of disk locally - ssd and hdd's - never really
notice fsck when it's checking on the ssd (unless I'm watching the
monitor at the time), but still see that on hdd's ( and did while
testing the last 4 releases - currently seeing it when it takes some
time on Artful)

If you haven't changed the options in fstab and fsck IS running -
perhaps set it to perform a check on next boot - and really watch the
monitor - just in case it's very quick. Then redo the fsck check - and
edit the kernel line so you've no quiet splash [1] - what you need to do
is remove the quiet splash from the linux line here, so you boot with
text - see what that says.

If you don't see anything on GUI - but do with text (and assuming here
that you've got hdd and not ssd - with no errors) I'd say that was a bug.

regards

[1]
https://askubuntu.com/questions/19486/how-do-i-add-a-kernel-boot-parameter