[xubuntu-users] Help me understand please

Joao Monteiro jmonteiro257 at gmail.com
Wed May 17 12:18:42 UTC 2017

Hi folks,

My move from windows to xubuntu is final (lol)... preparing this
samsung r20 to be my working laptop and all's going like a breeze :)

I do of course have more than a million questions now, which I am quite
happily answering through studying the best I can at my own pace. But I
feel that what works best for me is to start from scratch, from the
fundamentals, so I'm studying the Linux filesystem structure, etc. And
there is one thing that is bugging me and I can't understand, so any
help - when time permits it - will be more than welcome.

OK, Windows 7 is forever gone and I made of the whole laptop a strictly
Xubuntu Xfce machine. During the install, I used the option to encrypt
the disk for extra security. When I boot up, it asks me for the
password, I type it in, it says that crypt key was successful, voila,
all works like a charm haha...

But... when I then fired Gparted to se the structure graphically and
start to try to understand it all, I noticed two things that are
confusing me:

1) The structure of my hard disk now shows as: (sorry, don't know yet
how to take a screen shot and then paste it here... will get there soon
I hope)

/dev/sda1      ext2        /boot    487.00MiB
/dev/sda2      extended             111.31GiB
  /dev/sda5    crypt.luks           111.31GiB

Ok, I understand that sda1 ext2 is the type of fylesystem and this is a
487MiB boot partition

But the sda5 partition which is the whole rest of the hard disk, shows
graphically in Gparted as inside the sda2 extended partition, which is
also the same size of sda5, coz it is the whole rest of the hard disk.

So... why do I have sda2 and sda5? The way I see it, the crypt.luks is
the encrypted partition, which is what I want for the whole disk, and
for the little I understand so far, I have the boot and the extended
partition. Why does it create an extended partition and then it creates
an encrypted partition inside the extended one, of the exact same size?
I would have expected to just have /dev/sda2 extended crypt.luks and
not sda2 and sda5...

Can anyone please find the patience to explain this to me when you have
a chance? Thanks upfront

2) On the /dev/sda5, I have a yellow warning triangle in front of it
(in Gparted) and when I right click and select Information, it says:

Warning: Linux Unified Key Setup encryption is not yet supported

So I'm a bit confused here... does this mean that I'm only beneffiting
from having an extra password safety at boot up time and the disk is
actually not encrypted (which confuses me because when I give the
correct password it says that crypt key has been successful), or is
this referring to some sort of Key management system that is not yet
supported, but the disk is indeed encrypted?

Sorry bothering you with this, but just confused and to be absolutely
honest, have been so busy hunting for a job that haven't had time yet
to dig into the documentation... good this is got a job yesterday and
I'm now getting this little old machine ready to be my working horse at
work - damn, it works soooo much faster and better with xubuntu than it
ever worked with windows, haha.... can't get enough of it, feel like a
little boy with a spanky new shinny toy hahaha...

Thank you upfront for any clarification on the above

Kind regards to all

Joao