[xubuntu-users] [off-topic] Operating systems - Was: Exceedingly Grateful

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sat May 13 22:28:47 UTC 2017

On Sat, 13 May 2017 22:25:53 +0100, Peter Flynn wrote:
>On 13/05/17 20:22, Joao Monteiro wrote:
>> I have for the last 3 years been trying various flavours and versions
>> of Linux to move away from Windows, which has been exasperating me no
>> end for the most varied reasons.
>
>I made a similar move many years ago, and I am always collecting
>evidence, even anecdotal, about other people's moves in this
>direction.

Hi,

I was a super-geek using/programming the C64, then migrated to the Atari
ST with a hardware 80286 emulator, so apart from TOS I run DR DOS and
after that migrated to Linux. I'm not a coder anymore, but still a power
user, so my preferred distro is Arch Linux, but I still have got an
Ubuntu install based on a minimal Ubuntu install, so the starting point
was even without X. Actually I dropped Xubuntu and migrated to openbox
(just a window manager, without a desktop environment). However, IMO
Xubunutu as well as Ubuntu-Mate are the two best Ubuntu flavours for
those who just want to use the computer without becoming an expert. For
this target group I discourage to use any other distro or any other
Ubuntu flavour.

I used FreeBSD for awhile, too. It's superb for some usage, but since
I'm a musician Linux is the better choice for me. For real-time nice
power users, as well as for inexperienced computer users Linux is
definitively the better choice, than FreeBSD. OTOH FreeBSD has got it's
advantages for some computer usages, too.

>> Not being a computer geek, it has been a long
>> 3 years of frustration, disappointment and at times
>> exasperation...
>
>I had some of that too, but I would be very interested to know the list
>of systems you investigated — not in detail, but with some indication
>of *why* you gave them up and tried something else. Probably not here,
>though: use my own address.

Why not being that positive off-topic to the list ;)?

Well, I've got too much disappointments using Linux, but I never ever
considered to migrate to another OS for my PC, since Linux still is the
best choice to customize the operating system. For my tablet PC I prefer
iOS, this is related to the fact, that I need real-time abilities, that
unfortunately aren't supported well enough by other tablet PC operating
systems.

>I have taken the unusual step of CCing your address.

Seemingly you didn't Cc ;). Just in case the link to Peter's reply
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/xubuntu-users/2017-May/010011.html .

Résumé

Using Linux comes with a lot of pitfalls, since hardware vendors often
don't support Linux, but in the end, live is much easier using Linux,
especially when using desktop environments, such as Xfce or Mate, that
try to archive a constant work-flow. For power users and coders Linux
provides much more advantages.

2 Cents,
Ralf