[xubuntu-users] Dell 5520

Roger linux.rog at gmail.com
Sat May 6 14:49:08 UTC 2017

On May 6, 2017 8:26:27 AM EDT, David Snyderman <davesnyd at gmail.com> wrote:
>I'm thinking of picking up a Dell 5520, preinstalled with U-16.04.
>
>Does anyone have any experience with Dells? Any issues upgrading to
>newer releases? What about using Xubuntu on it?
>
>Also, any issues installing over? I like to have an encrypted drive-- I
>
>think that will require a reinstall. Wondering if there are any sage
>words of advice?
>
>The decision came down to the Dell, a ThinkPad T470, or a System76
>Gazelle. While I really like my current System76 Galago, the Gazelle is
>
>heavier by a fair amount. The problem with the ThinkPad is that it
>doesn't come preinstalled (which leaves me concerned about support) and
>
>I can't get it with the drive configuration I want (SSD for OS and 2 TB
>
>HD for data etc.). But I'm willing to hear suggestions...
>
>--
>Thanks!
>
>David
>
>David M. Snyderman
>davesnyd at gmail.com

You can encrypt after installation, e.g.,

https://www.howtogeek.com/116032/how-to-encrypt-your-home-folder-after-installing-ubuntu/
(Tinyurl version: http://tinyurl.com/gucps35)

I prefer to only encrypt /home, not seeing much benefit to encrypting /  (root). This might require reinstall to put /home on its own partition - a good thing to do as you can keep it when doing a fresh install.

I have used both System-76 and ThinkPads. I prefer the latter for its more user friendly features and ThinkPads are Linux friendly by design. I had to jump through some hoops with the Sys laptop when doing a new install. They had drivers one had to use on their web site but I had to dig desk at Intel to fix a video problem.
--
Sent from my Android device using K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.