[xubuntu-users] Dell 5520

David Snyderman davesnyd at gmail.com
Sat May 6 12:26:27 UTC 2017

I'm thinking of picking up a Dell 5520, preinstalled with U-16.04.

Does anyone have any experience with Dells? Any issues upgrading to
newer releases? What about using Xubuntu on it?

Also, any issues installing over? I like to have an encrypted drive-- I
think that will require a reinstall. Wondering if there are any sage
words of advice?

The decision came down to the Dell, a ThinkPad T470, or a System76
Gazelle. While I really like my current System76 Galago, the Gazelle is
heavier by a fair amount. The problem with the ThinkPad is that it
doesn't come preinstalled (which leaves me concerned about support) and
I can't get it with the drive configuration I want (SSD for OS and 2 TB
HD for data etc.). But I'm willing to hear suggestions...

--
Thanks!

David

David M. Snyderman