[xubuntu-users] CADRe: The Devil's Advocate

Wiebe van der Worp w at vanderworp.org
Thu Jul 13 11:18:41 UTC 2017

On 12-07-17 21:45, Joao Monteiro wrote:
> I have been using Turbocad for nearly two decades and rely heavily on it
> for my electric schematics. Sadly, the software authors/company never
> provided any drivers for linux. And after a fairly deep search for
> alternatives, the odd couple of them available are exceedingly
> inadequate and unstable in behaviour for my cad needs.
>
> Not a Linux shortcoming, see... just one of the many cases where
> authors/developers don't bother considering linux usage for it when
> developing it.

If you wrote this a few years ago I would totally agree. But times are
changing and there is a great alternative. Not free by the way. Bricsys
is the developer of BricsCAD and ports to Linux too. Many Linux users
use it in a professional environment and it is supported very well by
peers and developers. In a few ways comparable to AutoCAD but way
faster, without the bloat and an attractive price tag. See for example
https://www.bricsys.com/common/news.jsp?item=1723

With the deepest respect for FLOSS CAD developers, it is Bricsys that
broke the monopoly of CAD only under Windows.