[xubuntu-users] Is there a Linux Distro with MS Word Pre installed?

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Fri Jan 13 07:29:35 UTC 2017

On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 07:45:15 +0100, Bengt Olsson wrote:
>Otherwise there is just MS Office in a VM or by using Crossover/Wine
>that fully works.

Hi,

if software should work with wine it's likely ok, but a bloated Windows
app running in a VM most likely suffers from too serious performance
issues. Apart from the performance issues a Linux Novice not really has
got a choice. Quasi the only usable VM for a Linux beginner is
Virtualbox, other VMs require a learning curve to e.g. set up shared
folders. Virtualbox is very handy for private usage, but much to risky
for professional usage. Btw. setting up wine not necessarily is easy,
even if an app should be known to work.

IOW since the OP asked for something pre-installed, any recommendation
to use what ever kind of virtualisation is nonsense.

It might be possible, that if the OP describes what exactly MS word is
used for, a Linux user with the same needs could recommend a Linux
alternative or as pointed out by somebody else, there might be an
alternative using some browser thingy. Assuming Linux software could
replace MS Word for the OP, then the OP needs to care about the Linux
install for professional usage in a special way, but this is another
topic ... one step after the other.

To put it simply, Linux is not a replacement for Windows. Linux in
many aspects is something completely different, with advantages and
drawbacks compared to Windows. For users like me this is the reason
that I always was a Linux user when it was possible for me to
use Linux. I didn't migrate from Windows to Linux, even while I
needed to use MS or DR or what ever else, when using Linux wasn't
possible. There's also a valid reason for Windows World domination. The
reason for this simply is, that Windows for many purposes is the better
choice.

I don't now what's the best choice for the OP. Assuming the OP should
really need MS Windows (office isn't my domain) it could be possible
that migrating from Windows to Linux is a bad idea. Linux not per se is
always the best choice for everybody.

Regards,
Ralf