[xubuntu-users] Is it possible to edit the right-click menu?

Ulli Horlacher framstag at rus.uni-stuttgart.de
Mon Jan 9 11:16:15 UTC 2017

On Mon 2017-01-09 (10:51), Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> >I would suggest that any new to Linux browse
> >http://fex.belwue.de/fstools/index.html just to gain perspective
> >of what can be done at the command line.
>
> I'm not per se against such helpers, but they aren't good examples to
> learn using Linux command line.

fstools are not for learning the command line, but to extend their usage.

> Have you taken a look at e.g. catz? It checks the file name extension
> instead of e.g. checking the magic number with "file" and then decides
> to chose cat or zcat.

fstools are open source. Where is your patch?

> Or e.g. read the problem description of ax. It's simply incorrect that
> it's that complicated.
>
> There's no need to e.g. distinguish
>
> tar xvf ARCHIVE.tar
>
> and
>
> tar xvzf ARCHIVE.tar.gz
>
> simply use tar xfv for both
>
> tar xvf ARCHIVE.tar
> tar xvf ARCHIVE.tar.gz

This is only true for GNU tar, but not for POSIX/SysV tar.
Besides this, tar overwrites existing files without warning and cannot
extract zip or 7z archives.

--
Ullrich Horlacher              Server und Virtualisierung
Rechenzentrum TIK
Universitaet Stuttgart         E-Mail: horlacher at tik.uni-stuttgart.de
Allmandring 30a                Tel:    ++49-711-68565868
70569 Stuttgart (Germany)      WWW:    http://www.tik.uni-stuttgart.de/
REF:<20170109105142.706a7ece at utnubu>