[xubuntu-users] Jordan's weird dev upgrade method [was Re: 16.10 Yakkety alpha]

flocculant at gmx.co.uk flocculant at gmx.co.uk
Thu May 26 14:57:49 UTC 2016

On 26/05/16 14:53, Florian Coste wrote:
> Hi,

>> 5) If a ppa website says that it explicitly supports yakkety, you're probably okay with the ppa signature you have now.  If not, you'll have to run the new signature with 'add-apt-repository' and generate new source.list.d files.
> Have you ever seen a ppa which supports already the next stable
> version before it's released ?
You'll find that the ones that *we* care about will when necessary, at
this time all of our dev ppa's are yakkety ready.

> Why don't use the daily iso built from the devel version ? Why do you
> think it's not easier ?
>
> By the way, I think I should be ready to have a dual-boot with the
> actual stable version (Xenial) and with the next release (Yakkety). I
> should be ready to use everday the devel version, and come back to
> Xenial if something is wrong. But, I have a question, how to deal with
> ppa ? As I said, I think it's hard to find ppa which support the devel
> version, so, if I need a ppa for my personal work (which support only
> stable version), how can I do in order to use it in the devel version
> ?
>
> Thanks
> Florian

Often I've managed to run 'supported' ppa with 'dev' release - just
change where it's pointing e.g. if you add a ppa and it's good for
xenial and previous but not yakkety - edit the source file to say
xenial. _Won't always work - but worth trying_. I have to do that with
clementine dev version from ppa.

--
Xubuntu QA