[xubuntu-users] XUbuntu Desktop selection

Eric Christopherson echristopherson at gmail.com
Wed May 18 18:40:07 UTC 2016

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 1:31 PM, <flocculant at gmx.co.uk> wrote:

> On 18/05/16 19:18, Wither Slick wrote:
>
> Did you ever get an answer? I'm really curious about this too.
>
> On May 14, 2016 1:14 PM, "Tong Sun" < <xubuys.xpt at spamgourmet.com>
> xubuys.xpt at spamgourmet.com> wrote:
> >
> > On the XUbuntu lightdm login prompt, there is a selection in UR corner,
> of choosing XFce or Ubuntu.
> >
> > I had always been wondering what's the differences between the two, but
> never bother to ask before.
> >
> > Please help.
> > Thanks
> >

> > --
> >

> "The xubuntu session differs from the xfce session in that it applies some
> of the xubuntu-specific enhancements to Xfce (themeing, wallpaper, some
> config changes, etc). Have a look at the files in the
> xubuntu-default-settings package." [1]
>
> Sums it up.
>
> To check it out - you could try Toz's suggestion from the same post [1]
>
> "The best way to test and view the differences is to create two new
> accounts, and for one, select Xubuntu session and the other xfce session
> then compare. (You can also delete the ~/.config/xfce and ~/.cache/sessions
> folder between logins to reset xfce, but you will lose all customizations)."
>
> regards
>

> [1]
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2105703&p=12459424#post12459424

That's great to know finally. Here's a semi-related question I've had:

What is responsible for applying styling to Gtk+ applications when logged
into the Xubuntu or Xfce sessions as opposed to other sessions? Almost
everything* I have in the named sessions looks great, and responds well to
my requests to apply styling; but when I'm using another desktop (or none
at all), everything is very oversized, blocky, and ugly; and displays no
semblance of whatever theme I had applied.

* Actually, there are a few things, including some of the widgets in the
top menu bar, that look awful even under Xubuntu or Xfce. I can't remember
if it's Displays or Notification Area or the wireless network thing or some
combination of those. Could it be those are running as some other user, and
that's why they're not themed?

--
        Eric Christopherson