[xubuntu-users] Install software

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Tue May 10 15:39:37 UTC 2016

On Tue, 10 May 2016 23:18:23 +0900
Thomas Blasejewicz <nyuwa at hb.tp1.jp> wrote:

> Good evening
> I did ask this question the other day when I struggled with 16.04 for
> the first time.
> Currently reinstalling 16.04.
>
> Software (Center)
> This "function" has taken out (deleted?) LOTS of applications, that
> used to be there.
> And that I used to use (would like to continue to use).
> Much of the software that **IS** there, DOES NOT install!.

I'm guessing that you, like many users, are using the software that has
replaced Software Center, named Gnome Software. There are a number of
outstanding bugs in it, so lots of people are unhappy with it. If you
want the old Software Center back, run the following in a terminal:

sudo apt install software-center

You could also try Synaptic, another GUI for package management. It has
a less pretty GUI, but it's much more powerful.

> Do I really have to do that terminal typing acrobatics for each and
> every piece of software

You don't have to, but you can. It pays off to learn how to use basic
things like apt, and it's not complicated.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"