[xubuntu-users] switch keyboard layout

Thomas Blasejewicz nyuwa at hb.tp1.jp
Mon May 9 15:24:03 UTC 2016

Good morning
(I was not able to recover the messed up installation the other day)

Now I NEWLY (from scratch) installed xubuntu 15.10 (16.04 did not allow
me to install ANY other language beside English).
I am repeating the procedure now for the THIRD time, since both
preceding very laborous and time consuming installations led to
a blank black screen, where the ONLY possible action / activity was
cutting the power.

Now during the third attempt at installing the OS I am running again (I
did experience this already before!) into other annoying problems.
Here in particular (since I have not yet gotten further than OS
installation and update):
I have (set) two keyboard layouts: Japanese + German.
My customary switch is left Alt+Shift.
I could set that, but EVERY TIME I restart the computer, this setting is
forgotten and has to be changed.
Changed: change it to anything, it does not matter what. But when the
computer is turned off, this setting is lost.

Is there any way to convince the computer, that it has to remember that
setting?

Thank you.
Thomas