[xubuntu-users] How can I edit the whisker menu

Lutz Andersohn landersohn at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 15:15:54 UTC 2016

On Wed, 2016-03-02 at 20:25 -0800, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 8:27 AM, Lutz Andersohn <landersohn at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>         On Tue, 2016-03-01 at 21:09 -0800, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>
>         > I'm baffled by the whisker menu.  I want to edit what's in
>         > it, but I'm having little luck.  I'm not even sure what doc
>         > to read.
>         >
>         >
>         > So, of course, I right-clicked on the icon, and went to Edit
>         > Applications.  On expanding "System" I see a long list of
>         > applications, including Menu Editor, which sounded
>         > promising.  But despite appearing in the list for System, it
>         > does not appear in the actual whisker menu under System and
>         > I don't see any option to make it do so.  If I can't do
>         > that, I don't have much hope of adding anything that's
>         > actually new.
>         >
>         >
>         > So what obvious thing is it that I'm missing?  I think what
>         > I'm looking for should be obvious, and I'm afraid I missed
>         > the obvious (this is more and more frequent as I get older).
>         >
>         > --
>         > Kevin O'Gorman
>         >
>         > #define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */
>         >
>         >
>         > Please consider the
>         > environment before printing
>         > this email.
>         >
>         >

>         Whisker menu assembles the menu from the various *.desktop
>         files it finds.
>         Adding a custom item is very easy using MenuLibre: MenuLibre
>         essentially creates a *.desktop file and Whisker picks it up.
>         I do that all the time.
>

> I tried looking for *.desktop files, and didn't find anything very
> helpful -- possibly because there are so many in so many places, and
> very few of them with names that relate to things I see in the whisker
> menu.  Also you neglect to connect the dots, and give any help in
> figuring out just what you accomplish and just how you accomplish it.
>

> I'm really floundering here.  How do I get started?
>

> --
>
> Kevin O'Gorman
>

> #define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */
>

> Please consider the environment
> before printing this email.

for what it's worth, the desktop files live in
/usr/share/applications
and ~/.local/share/applications

for the most part. Custom entries you make using MenuLibre (or other
editors) usually go into the latter directory.
Maybe I misunderstood your question but I think you want to add a custom
launcher
If you want step-by-step instuctions to add a custom launcher:
- open MenuLibre from the Setup window
- Select your category, click "Add"-"Add Launcher" and enter your custom
launcher: the program to start, name and so on.
- Save

Next time you open whisker menu and look at the category where you just
created the new launcher, it will be there.

--

----
Lutz Andersohn

main(){int j=1234;char t[]=":@abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz.\n",*i=
"iqgbgxmlrls at l@yveofeqgbnek.n";char *strchr(const char *,int);while(
*i){j+=strchr(t,*i++)-t;j%=sizeof t-1;putchar(t[j]);} return 0;}

(925) 784 1565
D-19318, AFF-I

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/1/b65/2b6
Public key ID: 0x9620D1A6