[xubuntu-users] How can I edit the whisker menu

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Thu Mar 3 07:54:55 UTC 2016

On Wed, 2 Mar 2016 20:25:43 -0800
"Kevin O'Gorman" <kogorman at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 8:27 AM, Lutz Andersohn <landersohn at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Whisker menu assembles the menu from the various *.desktop files it
> > finds. Adding a custom item is very easy using MenuLibre: MenuLibre
> > essentially creates a *.desktop file and Whisker picks it up.
> > I do that all the time.
>
> I tried looking for *.desktop files, and didn't find anything very
> helpful -- possibly because there are so many in so many places, and
> very few of them with names that relate to things I see in the
> whisker menu.  Also you neglect to connect the dots, and give any
> help in figuring out just what you accomplish and just how you
> accomplish it.
>
> I'm really floundering here.  How do I get started?

Did you try to Google and see if that would turn up anything? I don't
mean to sound like a jerk, but there are tons of documentation and
other resources out there that users are expected to use. This (editing
menus) is covered many places out there.

To help you get started and so this can be found in the archive if
anyone searches for it later: If your system is used by several
different users and you want to add menu entries for all of them, put
the .desktop files in /usr/local/share/applications. If you want to add
them for just your own user, put them in ~/.local/share/applications.

The easiest way to write these .desktop files is with a menu editor
such as MenuLibre or Alacarte. If you want or need to do it manually,
take a look at the freedesktop.org Desktop Entry Specification:

http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/

A short example looks like this:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=FooBar
Comment=An application to foo the bar
Exec=/home/username/foobar/foobar -l -p
Icon=/usr/share/icons/breeze/apps/32/help-about.svg
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Utility;

Most of these lines are self-explanatory, and are explained in detail
in the specification linked to above. You can also look at
other .desktop files to see how they are written. There is also this
Ubuntu wiki page, it is intended for Unity, but all DE's follow the
same spec:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UnityLaunchersAndDesktopFiles

Petter

--