[xubuntu-users] Funny problem with VLC

JMZ florentior at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 07:23:52 UTC 2016

Hi Jeffrey,

When a media source is plugged into ubuntu linux, the drive is
auto-mounted to /media.  This might not be a good place for your
external drive to end up.  See if remounting the drive somewhere else
allows you to access your external drive.

1) Close VLC and open a terminal window.

2) type 'lsblk'.   (I don't think you will need sudo, but throw a sudo
in there if needed.) This will give you a tree diagram of your mounted
drives, drive data capacities, and /dev assignments.  This should help
you track down where your external drive is in the /dev hierarchy.

3) find and write down the /dev assignment for your external drive.

4) Y'know what, leave /media as it is.  The external drive can be
mounted at two places at once.

5) Create some directory for the /dev to point to.  You will need to use
'sudo mkdir' off the root, should you wish to create a directory one
layer off root (your call).

6) mount the external drive like this:

------> (6a) 'sudo mount /dev/[/dev drive assignment]  /[name of target
directory], where [/dev drive assignment] is a code such as sda1, sdb2
etc.  [name of target directory] refers to the directory you have just
created as a destination for the external drive

Now try accessing your media files off the external drive with VLC,
drawing data from the target directory.

Good luck and Happy Motoring,
Jordan