[xubuntu-users] Wine is not in Menu

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Fri Jul 22 23:26:59 UTC 2016

On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 01:18:48 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 15:47:43 -0700, Lee Gold wrote:
>>Using Xubuntu 16.04. I installed Wine but it is not in the menu. How
>>do I fix this?
>
>What should it be good for, to have a menu entry for wine? AFAIK wine
>isn't a program or virtual machine you could launch without a windows
>app.
>
>IIRC you need to launch a windows executable by wine
>  wine "c:\path\to\the_app_name.exe"
>
>To get this as a menu entry for all users, create a desktop file in
>  /usr/share/applications/

JFTR, regarding
http://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/amd64/wine1.6/filelist there should
be menu entries:

/usr/share/applications/wine-browsedrive.desktop
/usr/share/applications/wine-notepad.desktop
/usr/share/applications/wine-uninstaller.desktop
/usr/share/applications/wine-winecfg.desktop
/usr/share/applications/wine.desktop

Those aren't available?

"Forcing changes

This is not usually necessary and may not work anyway; logging out of
the Xfce session and back in always works.

If the menu is not automatically updated with your changes, try

xfdesktop --reload

If that doesn't work, try

killall -HUP xfdesktop" - https://wiki.xfce.org/howto/customize-menu