[xubuntu-users] Changing the Xfce Desktop Language on per user basis

Tong Sun xubuys.xpt at spamgourmet.com
Sat Jan 16 18:39:44 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 2:09 AM, Petter Adsen @synth.no  wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 22:37:17 -0500
> Tong Sun wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I prefer my Xfce Desktop to be in English, while my wife prefers hers
> > to be a different language. How can I set her Desktop to be in a
> > language that she prefers?
> >
> > I've done a lot of searches and I've make both of her `$HOME/.i18n`
> > and `~/.xinitrc` files containing:
>
> (Don't use ~/.xinitrc, use ~/.xsessionrc instead.)
>
> > LOCALE=zh_CN.utf8
> > LANG=zh_CN.utf8
> >

> > However, whenever I login as her (from lightDM), her Desktop language
> > is still in English. Is it because there is only English option in
> > the language selection in lightDM?
> >
> > All in all, how can I set her Desktop to be in a language that she
> > prefers?
>
> Have you tried simply moving the language she wants to the top of the
> list in Settings -> Language Support while logged in as her, then
> logged out and in again?

Thanks Petter & lukshuntim,

Problem solved.

- I don't have the Language Support under All Settings. Installing the
package language-selector-gnome solved the problem
- Simply moving the desired language to the top of the list doesn't work,
everything are still English, yet,  moving ~/.xinitrc as ~/.xsessionrc
finally did the trick.

Thanks again everyone!