[xubuntu-users] Two printers available in programs but only one is installed

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Mon Feb 22 09:57:02 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 09:27:10AM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 21, 2016 at 04:50:00PM +0100, Petter Adsen wrote:
> > On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 14:25:31 +0000
> > Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> >
> > > I have an OKI MC342 printer which I have installed in the normal way,
> > > it appears as expected in CUPS and works OK.
> > >
> > > However if I select Print in any program I see *two* printers, one is
> > > the one I have installed and the other seems to be a sort of phantom
> > > printer.  It looks similar to the MC342 I have installed but has
> > > limited options and doesn't actually work.  If you print to it
> > > absolutely nothing happens.
> > >
> > > On a system where I hadn't installed the printer the phantom version
> > > of the MC342 appears too, no printers in CUPS, one printer available
> > > in programs.  Similarly printing to this printer does nothing at all.
> >
> > No printers in CUPS where? The web ui?
> >
> It's offered as a printer in the menu File->Print in Firefox.
>

> > > Where is this phantom printer coming from and how can I get rid of
> > > it?
> >
> > What's the output of 'lpstat -v'?
> >
> ris$ lpstat -v
> device for MC342: dnssd://OKI-MC342-AE529C._pdl-datastream._tcp.local/
>

> What I get offered in the Firefox Print option is two printers:-
>
>     MC342
>     OKI-MC342-AE529C
>
> The second one is the one that doesn't actually work.
>
> In AbiWord I get offered:-
>
>     MC342
>     print

... and I've found what produces it, thought it's still a bug.  For
some reason the presence of the printer on the LAN is what creates
these 'phantom' printers.  If I power the printer down both the
OKI-MC342-AE529C in Firefox and the 'print' in AbiWord disappear.

So their print option seems to somehow 'see' the network printer and
thinks it can be used.  As I said early on LibreOffice does things
right and doesn't see this phantom printer.

--
Chris Green