[xubuntu-users] Using a 4k TV as a monitor

MR ZenWiz mrzenwiz at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 20:16:35 UTC 2016

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 12:10 AM, Petter Adsen <petter at synth.no> wrote:

> It should work, the Intel HD Graphics 4600 chipset in this CPU should
> support 3840x2160 at 60Hz (over DP, only 24Hz over HDMI) according to
> Intel's specs:
>
> http://ark.intel.com/products/80807/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_40-GHz
>
> I actually have this exact same CPU, and would be interested in hearing
> how well 4K resolution works, if the OP cares to post his results.

I might, but the mobo spec says it will only handle 1920x1080 max per
port (VGA, DVI and HDMI, 1 each), so I'd need a new video card.

The ones I've seen so far that handle 4k video are pretty pricey ($200
and way up).  I don't need this for gaming, so I'd rather go a cheaper
route.

If I was stuck on getting 4k, I could get 4 HD monitors and one more
cheap video card to achieve the same effect using the nVidia drivers
(and that should work, according to xrandr), but that's too clunky and
the XFCE window manager might not handle that too well (doesn't with
only 2 screens).  It would also take a video player that handles 4 HD
screens as one.

I'm probably going to hold off for a while.  Prices always come down.

Thanks.