[xubuntu-users] Heavy bugs in Thunar 1.6.10 (Xubuntu 15.10 beta1)

Aurelius Octavian Edistare at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 07:34:36 UTC 2015

Hi there,

The new Xubuntu 15.10 beta1 is a very fine beta release, but I encountered a
few heavy bugs in the new Thunar (which is stable in the 14.04 LTS version I
used before), which I thinks are show-stoppers.

Have anyone seen the following bugs? Those who use Thunar regularly should
have noticed them, too, I think, because they're very obvious and occur
regularly.
I've got two independently installed Xubuntu 15.10 PCs showing the exact same
Thunar bugs, so I can pretty much exclude wrong configuration of one single
installation.

I list the three bugs here but would love to know if I can report them to a
bug database on launchpad or so. I didn't find information on the Xubuntu web
page on how to report. On bugs/launchpad I didn't even find a thunar package,
but I'm a newbie with reporting Ubuntu bugs. Also these mailing-lists here
are low frequent lists it seems to me. So any help with reporting bugs is
appreciated. Thanks.

1) Moving files from one folder to another folder many times just crashes
Thunar without an error message, i.e. Thunar just disappears. I find it
difficult to encircle this awful bug, but it appears regularly and makes
Thunar hardly usable.

2) If you open the trash-can in Thunar and want to restore a non-empty
deleted file/folder from there, Thunar complains:
  Die Datei »Xy« konnte nicht wiederhergestellt werden.
  Der Herkunftsort von »Xy« konnte nicht ermittelt werden.
(Roughly translated to English:
  The File »Xy« couldn't be restored.
  The source place of »Xy« couldn't be found.
)

3) For linked folders pointing to other devices (i.e. a folder in your home
linked to, for example, /media/user/mountxy ): when you delete a file in the
root of the linked folder in your home, Thunar complains:
  Datei konnte nicht in den Papierkorb verschoben werden.
  Ungültiger Link über Gerätegrenzen hinweg.
(Roughly translated to English:
  File couldn't be moved to the trash-can.
  Invalid link accross device boundaries.
)
Deleting the file without the trash-option (i.e. delete "forever") works however.
Also deleting files with the trash-option in the sub-folders of the linked
folder, works.