[xubuntu-users] 14.04 stopped working

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Thu Nov 12 18:13:28 UTC 2015

On Thu, 12 Nov 2015 10:00:38 -0800, John R. Sowden wrote:
>I can do that, but the program is Libre Office, which is currently on
>the computer unless the install process deleted part of it as it was
>installing.  If it is still there, I don't want to loose it, as that
>is how I can see my existing data.

If you upgraded libs that are used by libre office at runtime, the
version of libre office you've got installed unlikely will run anymore.

It might be that the panel can't start, because the installed version
is compiled against other libs, assumed just the panel or just the libs
were upgraded. I still wonder how you upgraded. Usually an upgrade
should be complete or refused and not started.

There are a few places you could clean, to get back more space, but you
anyway need to know what's going wrong at the moment, so you shouldn't
clean any cache or tmp dir yet.

So again, does open a menu, if you right click on the empty desktop?
Does the empty desktop at least show your wallpaper?